Smashing Pumpkins "Soma"

I've gone back and forth on including this song in this project.

The problem is the fact most people will listen to these songs through earbuds, their phone, or a laptop.

However, "Soma" was not made for small, dinky speakers. Its guitar solo is a wall of sound that singer/guitarist Billy Corgan and producer Butch Vig claim includes dozens of overdubs and is widely considered one of the greatest solos in rock 'n roll history.

However, not to be outdone, the lyrics to the bridges are fantastic and sung with the kind of heartbroken angst and self-loathing anger that made Smashing Pumpkins a teenage/young-adult favorite throughout the '90s -- and a regular part of my listening rotation.

I have a pair Paradigm Monitor 11s and a PDR-10 that could peel your neighbors' wallpaper. I listen to "Soma" on these speakers and cry from the sheer beauty and majesty of the solo and lose my shit when the closing bridge crashes down.

On my phone or laptop, it never has the same effect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fiona Apple "Criminal"

David Bowie "Young Americans" (from "The Dick Cavett Show" Dec. 4, 1974)

One Song Each Day for an Entire Year