Miles Davis "So What"

A study on the space between notes as much as the notes themselves, Miles Davis's Kind of Blue is a masterpiece beyond compare.

When I lived in Grand Haven, I started listening to NPR's Jazz Profiles, which released an entire episode on Kind of Blue. I was somewhat enthralled by the album and soon bought it on SACD. 

Kind of Blue kind of blew my mind, and I played it over and over while sorting sports card and/or playing video games.

When I went to buy my first "big kid" surround-sound system for my home theater, I took a few CDs, including Kind of Blue.

This was my second visit to the store. The first time, the sales rep connected the listening room to a big-ass television and played a sci-fi movie with a soaring score and a ton of sound effects. Most of the speakers were impressive, but I always listened to music more than I've ever watched movies.

The rep suggested I bring back music I was familiar with to listen on various speakers, and when I returned with the CDs, the rep saw what I had in hand and changed the brand of speaker he recommended to the Paradigm Reference Series.

The first song I played was "So What," and it sounded so good -- so crisp and clear -- I didn't play anything else and bought a pair of Paradigm fronts and a Paradigm subwoofer.

To this day, I use only Paradigm speakers and currently have a setup of:

• Monitor 11
• CC-300
• Titan
• PS-1200

The PS-1200 is the same one I bought in 2001. I bought the CC-300 from the same store a few months later. I have re-foamed them and refreshened their box pads multiple times, keeping them in tip-top shape.

Each time I refurbish them, I put on "So What" to make sure they sound the way they should.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fiona Apple "Criminal"

David Bowie "Young Americans" (from "The Dick Cavett Show" Dec. 4, 1974)

One Song Each Day for an Entire Year