Supertramp "Take the Long Way Home"

A sentimental pick, "Take the Long Way Home" is one of the finest progressive-rock songs you'll ever hear. It's extremely catchy and features Roger Hodgson's fantastic, tenor vocals that play off and with the song's whimsical arrangement.

When I worked Sunday shifts at Jackson Citizen Patriot, I'd often listen to music because there was rarely anyone else at the office, and I'd have half the room to myself.

Chip Mundy, one of my colleagues, often asked what I was listening to, and while he didn't know much of the music I would play (usually techno or EDM), he got excited when I once told him Supertramp's Breakfast in America

Much to my surprise, Chip said Supertramp was one of his favorite bands of all time. In fact, he saw Hodgson and Supertramp live dozens of times around the Midwest.

Chip died last year, and in one of the many obituaries written about him, one of our colleagues, Brad Flory, remembered the time Hodgson took time during a concert to give a shoutout to Chip, who was planted down front.

Chip would have turned 69 today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fiona Apple "Criminal"

David Bowie "Young Americans" (from "The Dick Cavett Show" Dec. 4, 1974)

One Song Each Day for an Entire Year